By Muhammad Amaan
Ahead of the African Cup of Nations final match between the Super Eagles of Nigeria and the Elephants of Côte d’Ivoire on Sunday, the Lagos State Commissioner of Health, Professor Akin Abayomi has issued a health advisory to football lovers.
At least five Nigerians were reported to hvae died while watching the penalty shoot-outs between Nigeria’s Super Eagles and Bafana Bafana of South Africa during the semi-final match of the tournament last Wednesday.
To avert more casualties, Professor Abayomi, on Saturday, listed health tips to help citizens prioritise their health and well-being while enjoying football matches or any other intense activities.
The health advisory:
• Know Your Limits: Understand your physical limitations and consult with a healthcare professional if you have any underlying health conditions before engaging in activities that could potentially exacerbate them.
• Stay Hydrated and Nourished: Crowded poorly ventilated hot environments should be avoided with attention to good hydration. Avoid excessive alcohol consumption, and ensure you drink plenty of water and eat nutritious foods to keep your body fuelled and hydrated, especially during prolonged periods of sitting and watching the game.
• Take Regular Breaks: Stand up, stretch, and move around periodically to prevent stiffness and promote circulation. This can also help maintain alertness and prevent fatigue.
• Maintain Good Posture: Sit in a comfortable chair with proper back support and avoid slouching to reduce strain on your muscles and spine.
• Stay Calm and Relaxed: Practice relaxation techniques such as deep breathing or mindfulness to manage stress and emotions during intense moments in the game.
In a statement, the commissioner also urged viewing centres to ensure that venues where football matches are watched have adequate medical facilities and trained personnel on hand to respond swiftly in case of emergencies.
It also advised residents to seek prompt medical attention if they experience any unusual symptoms or discomfort.