Home News Toxic Shock Syndrome rare, but deadly – Physician

Toxic Shock Syndrome rare, but deadly – Physician

by hr


By Becky John

An Abuja based physician, Dr Okezie Emenike, on Wednesday in Abuja said toxic shock syndrome (TSS) could be life threatening if the bacteria that caused it is left untreated. Emenike told the newsmen in Abuja that the condition could lead to organ damage if not treated in good time. According to him, toxic shock syndrome is an illness that happens suddenly after an infection caused by staphylococcus bacteria and others.

He said two different factors could be responsible for the condition, stressing that streptococcus and staphylococcus bacteria were the common causes. He said that these bacteria usually live harmlessly on the skin or mouth but could invade the body’s blood stream and release poisonous toxins.

Emenike, however, said that TSS caused by streptococcus usually occurs after child birth which could be life threatening. He said that chicken pox, surgery, minor skin cuts and wounds which causes bruising that doesn’t open up the skin causes toxic shock syndrome.

According to the physician, the disease caused by staph bacteria often occurs after surgery as well as a tampon that was used for a long time during menstruation. Emenike said that wounds and burns left untreated that are infected by bacteria were also causative factors of TSS.

He mentioned that staphylococcus bacteria, which is one of the causative factors of TSS, was not a serious illness but advised patients to seek medical attention. The physician added that patients with sudden high fever, aches and pains, stomach cramps, headaches and sore throat should seek medical attention in order to avert the disease. He explained that toxic shock syndrome could be easily detected through laboratory test via urine or blood to find out the exact bacteria responsible. He urged persons susceptible to the condition to always treat any form of diseases associated with infections caused by any form of bacteria.

“If there is a wound or cut always keep it clean and keep children away from scratching chicken pox pores to avoid infections that can cause toxic shock syndrome.

“Avoid using tampons and diaphragms during the first 12 weeks after child birth and change tampons at least every eight hours during menstruation.

“Don’t leave diaphragm for more than 12 to 18 hours and as well as using tampons and  barrier contraceptives if  the patient have had menstrual toxic shock syndrome ,’’ the physician said.

He said that treating complications such as liver, kidney and lung failure as well as fighting the infection with antibiotics is important in treating TSS. Emenike stressed that surgery was necessary if TSS was developed after surgery and if the infection was destroying the skin.

Related Articles

Leave a Comment