By Adi Angyu, Bauchi
Governor Mohammed A. Abubakar of Bauchi State on Saturday 5th September 2015 officially unveiled his administrations 5 Point Health Agenda for the health sector tagged “Lafiya Garkuwa” meaning Health is Shield and also including free drugs to children under the age of five years to mark his hundred days in office. The State Governor, Mohammed Abubakar who flagged off the launching at the government house banquet hall in Bauchi, reiterated the commitment of his administration to promote and strengthen health care services in the state.
The Governor listed the five point health agenda for the state to include
- Strengthening Primary Health Care including Routine Immunization and Reproductive, Maternal, Newborn and Child Health Services
- Access to quality and cost effective essential and live saving drugs including consumables and laboratory services
- Motivation, retention and re-training of frontline health workers for effective and quality service delivery
- Improving funding to health sector through innovative financing mechanisms, accountability and transparency
- Demand creation via health education, awareness creation and strategic communication
He noted that his administration is considering a bill to establish Bauchi State Health Insurance Agency that will improve coverage and access to health services. Abubakar said within the first hundred days in office, his administration has approved the payment of 160 million naira counterpart funding of the memorandum of understanding with Bill and Melinda Gates and Dangote Foundation for Routine Immunization.
Other health achievements according to the Governor Abubakar include approval for the procurement of essential drugs worth 87 million naira for the state health revolving scheme amongst others. In his address, the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Health, Abubakar Usman pledged the commitment of the ministry of health to support the state government’s five health point agenda and rid the state of communicable diseases.