Home News Abuja mystery deaths caused by food poisoning – Officials

Abuja mystery deaths caused by food poisoning – Officials

by Muhammad Sani

By Haruna Gimba with agency report

Officials at the FCT Primary Health Care Development Board have confirmed that food poisoning was responsible for death of 13 people in Saburi community of Abuja Municipal Area Council.

The Executive Secretary of the board, Rilwanu Muhammad told News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Abuja that the food poisoning was caused by clostridium perfringes.

He said clostridium perfringes is a bacterium which occurs in the soil, contaminates food and the intestinal track of human beings.

Health Reporters reports that the board had earlier said it suspected typhoid fever or shigella dysentery as the cause of the mysterious death of 13 people in the community.

The board took blood samples from infected persons, water from the well and the three boreholes in the community for clinical diagnosis at the laboratory of Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC).

The executive secretary said the NCDC result from the blood samples and the water showed presence of clostridium perfringes.

He said the bacterium causes food poisoning and the incubation period is between four and 24 hours.

“The bacteria tend to cause fever, abdominal pains and diarrhoea. Clostridium has a lot of toxin, that is why it easily causes a lot of death, especially to the malnourished people,” he said.

He said the board, in collaboration with the FCT Department of Public Health, had controlled the outbreak.

According to him, the board has rehydrated the survivors and provided drugs for the treatment of the affected persons.

He added that the main treatment was with penicillin and other rehydration therapy.

Rilwanu Muhammad urged AMAC and FCT Administration to provide safe and clean water for the community.

He also called on the community to enhance personal hygiene, especially hand washing, adding that clostridium perfringes infection could be traced in the stool of the affected person.

“If an affected person did not wash his hand properly after having contact with his stool, he can easily contaminate his hand and transmit the disease back into the community,’’ he said.

Mr. Muhammad said the board had embarked on massive health education in the community to enlighten people on sanitation and the need for personal hygiene as a lasting solution to the problem.

Related Articles

Leave a Comment